Milsom Hotels Environmental Policy
Milsom Hotels as a group strive to provide the best possible product and service to our guests at all times, however the nature of this particular industry and the activities involved in running it can have impinging effects on the environment.
In an effort to minimize these effects the group have committed to a policy of sound environmental management. The aim of the policy is to remain consistent with all present preventative activities but more importantly continually look forward into new ways in which we can maintain sustainable use of resources and optimal waste management.
Across all properties we endeavour to:
- Ensure that all employees provide a duty of care to the environment and the effects that their actions cause, also what benefits lie in improving environmental performance. Certify that they have the specific skills for this through education and training.
- Ensure this policy is accessible to; all employees, any other parties with interest and also display in a prominent position at all properties so that everybody is aware.
- Comply with all applicable environmental legislation as a minimum standard and take a proactive attitude to future requirements.
- Adopt the principle of ‘sustainable development’ whereby the present needs of the business will not compromise the abilities of future generations to meet their
- Practise a strategy of ‘green procurement’, taking environmental factors into account when purchasing and negotiating supplier contracts. Suppliers must have compatible policies for managing their impact on the environment.
- Provide organic produce where possible and never knowingly use genetically modified ingredients or products.
- Monitor performance and aim for continued improvement.
- Take all measures that are practical to:
- - Reduce waste at source – i.e. less packaging from suppliers
- - Re-Use waste components where it is safe and practical to do so
- - Recycle whatever waste possible – paper, cardboard, glass, cooking oil.
- - Compact waste to reduce number of collections.
- - Final waste is disposed off responsibly.
- - Encourage energy efficiency across the business, through reduced consumption of water, electricity and other materials.
- - Seek out advanced technology which is more energy efficient, i.e. light bulbs, motion detectors etc…
- - Aim for continual improvement. This will be helped by introducing a dedicated environmental team made up of employees from across the group.